The League is proud to continue the Inspire - Create - Innovate - Community Awards to celebrate recent innovations, programs, community projects, and acknowledge overall excellence in local government. Beyond honoring cities, we aim for these awards to spotlight innovations that other communities might replicate.
Recipients of the new Community Awards will be recognized at the League's Annual Conference - more information to come! Please see below for judging criteria and rules to enter. Please direct questions to Kate Cooley, Conference and Marketing Coordinator.
- Community Health (building healthy community environments, active lifestyle programs)
- Infrastructure (public works, resiliency planning, sustainability, public utilities, transportation, etc.)
- Economic Development (business development, tourism, housing, historic preservation, strategic planning, public-private partnerships, the arts)
- Public Safety (police, fire, rescue services, emergency planning, code enforcement efforts, health/mental health related to public safety)
- Youth Engagement (civic education, parks and recreation, summer programs, literacy programs)
- Communications (print or social media campaigns, branding, events, customer service programs)
Questions to consider before submitting your description. (Judges will use these questions as they evaluate each project):
- Why was the project necessary?
- What were the goals of the project?
- What were the steps required to complete the project?
- Was there anything unique or innovative?
- Did the project provide a new community service, or improve an existing one?
- Where did funding for the project come from?
- Were there any obstacles, and how were they overcome?
- Did the project include any members outside of the city organization?
- Will other cities replicate the project?
How to Enter/Rules:
Submit a description of your project and answer questions using the form below, or download the application. In addition, you may submit up to 10 pages of supporting documents (but not required.) Cities may submit multiple projects for consideration. You may find that projects span more than one category, but please select only the most applicable.
- Entries are due by 5:00 p.m. on June 7.
- All League local government members are welcome to submit.
- Entries must cover new projects or programs completed between Jan 1, 2018 and May 1, 2019, or – for existing projects – entries must cover major enhancements that occurred between those same dates.
- Please ensure each entry form is signed by the local government’s chief administrative officer and one elected official.
- Supporting documents totaling no more than 10 pages including photos, brochures, charts, etc. may be included in a separate document and emailed. Please combine all supporting documents into one pdf to email.
Entries will be screened by League staff and a panel of judges chosen for their expertise in local and state government. Judges represent a variety of communities large and small, state agencies and municipal business alliance partners.
Award categories will not be broken into population categories. Our panel of judges will judge the scope and impact of the individual project in proportion to the city’s size, therefore putting cities of all sizes on a level playing field.
Winners will be notified around July 1, and awards will be presented at the League’s annual conference in October. A representative from the winning city will receive a complementary conference registration. All winning entries will be featured in League social media and in the Kansas Government Journal.