League Executive/Administrative Position Search
Helping Cities Find Great Leaders
The League Executive/Administrative Position Search (LEAPS) program assists cities in filling vacant city executive positions. The League offers a multi-faceted program that can be tailor-made to fit the needs of your city.
What we can do for you.
As a city council or commission, one of the most important decisions your city makes is who serves as your city’s manager or administrator. Over the years, the League has successfully placed city executives in over 60 cities. The success of our service comes from our familiarity with regional managers and administrators, the time we spend getting to know the community and the applicants, our experience, and our understanding of the skills and qualified needed to operate a city.
The LEAPS package includes:
conducting governing body surveys to determine desired qualifications;
- creating an advertisement in consultation with governing body and recommend ad locations;
- providing a salary survey of CAO salaries in comparable cities;
- utilizing our ranking committee to rank all candidates;
- facilitating the interview process;
conducting backgrounds checks on finalists;
- providing communications with candidates not selected;
- assisting with contract negotiations upon request;
- legal consultation throughout the process;
- payment of the selected candidates’ first year of Kansas Association for City/County Management membership.
Guidance for cities.
Any member of the League may obtain a free copy of our Guide to Recruiting a City Administrator/Manager. This guide includes a comprehensive overview of the issues governing bodies should consider when conducting an executive search, along with a number of sample documents to help facilitate that process. To obtain a copy, please contact Nikki Harrison at 785-354-9565.